Great Expectations

i have been thinking about the 1998 film Great Expectations all day after posting about artist Kim McCarty earlier this morning. something about her work reminded me of the beautiful artwork created for the film by Italian artist Francesco Clemente.

this was one of my favourite movies as a teen – it was released when i was 15. going hand in hand with other bittersweet overly dramatic romantic films of my teen years like Romeo and Juliet and Cruel Intentions. especially at a time when we discovered a lot of our music via movie soundtracks – Life in Mono was one of my FAVOURITE songs after seeing this movie.

i have also spoken about the anomaly of Gwnyeth Paltrow often on twitter. i have loved her in so many movies (Sliding Doors, Emma, Tenenbaums, etc etc) but she is somehow kind of annoying these days. conscious uncoupling.

anyway, great film – and one to be reconsidered, and rewatched.

Great Expectations // Miss Moss
Great Expectations // Miss Moss
Great Expectations // Miss Moss
Great Expectations // Miss Moss
Great Expectations // Miss Moss

, , , , ,

22 Responses to Great Expectations

1. akiko Monday 9 June, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

This is my favorite movie of all time! But haven’t seen it so long.. Your post made me want to re-watch again very soon
    xo akiko

Style Imported

• Meg Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 12:31 am #

Me too…haven’t seen it since was in the theater and I was very young…too young to really appreciate all of the green and beauty within the film and its true context.

2. Ann-Marie Monday 9 June, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

For years this has been my go-to answer when asked what my favorite movie is. I watched it first as a 15 year old too, and so many times since. I’m interested to see the new remake, but expect it won’t live up to this one. Thanks for covering it — I didn’t know a lot of these facts!

3. emily Monday 9 June, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

I love this movie too and I loved reading about all the work that went into it. I never realized how green it all was despite having seen it so many times.

4. maggie Monday 9 June, 2014 at 8:57 pm #

I have somehow never seen this, but now it is on my immediate to-watch list.

5. Harriet Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 12:24 am #

Yep, I was 15 too when this came out. At the height of my Ethan phase, and beginning of my Gwyneth love. I adored the slinky dress she wore to the art opening, sigh.

Other 90s nostalgia-aesthetica: Reality Bites (hair, crocheted dress), Dead Man (music), any Wim Wenders.

• Miss Moss Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 8:30 am #

“at the height of my Ethan phase” – love that.

6. Kristin Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 2:13 am #

Never seen this movie. I am going to have to dig this up.

7. Gaby (@MissLadrillos) Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 2:56 am #

@JolieSoleil este post sobre el vestuario verde en Great Expectations es genial. El ojo de Moss es increíble: http://t.co/OkKCArnmW2

8. mina Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 3:41 am #

You might like to check out this later interpretation – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Expectations_(2011_TV_serial) – Gillian Anderson plays a great Miss Havisham

9. Katie Antoniou Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 5:44 am #

I was obsessed with this film as a teenager! That beautiful house! And all the green! And such a brilliant soundtrack. I remember my best friend taping it for me cos I couldn’t afford the CD-they were so expensive then! This and Stealing Beauty are the two films I most associate with being a teenager.

10. joni Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 7:00 am #

Tha movie is fantastic and the soundtrack is one of my favorite all time cds.

11. claire Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 7:23 am #

i agree completely with everything you said!!!!!

12. @mahabis Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 10:05 am #

mahabis visuals // a fresh take on the 1998 movie “great expectations” from @miss_moss http://t.co/0DiWG5qW7a http://t.co/DWkzDPW2RP

13. Noémie Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Oh my god, one of my favorite movies too. So inspiring as a teen :) The artistic direction of this movie is absolutely perfect!

14. Brittany Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

This post made my morning. Thank you. This film was very influential as I came into my own as an artist as teenager the year this came out. The details, artistry, location, characters – I was infatuated with it all. In fact, I spent a lot of time visiting family in Sarasota and wandering the grounds of Ca d’zan and later ended up getting married there.

15. @brittanyzh Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

Transported back to my high school obsession with Francesco Clemente and Ca d’zan – 1998 was a great year. @miss_moss http://t.co/1GpnAmKI76

16. Mariella Tuesday 10 June, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

Loved this movie too and haven’t thought about it in a long time so thank you for bringing it back to my memory! and agree on the conscious uncoupling ;)

17. Marie Thursday 12 June, 2014 at 10:14 am #

I have never seen this film, however as a girl one of my all-time favourite films was “A little Princess”, also by Alfonso Cuaron. I still love to watch it today, it’s so, so beautiful… and green! Now i know why :)

18. @mundobrel Monday 16 June, 2014 at 1:04 am #

Não conhecia esse filme de 1998, mas vou assistir só porque gostei da ilustração da capa. http://t.co/fbS4lGQuy7

19. @FabiolaMMejia Thursday 19 June, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

Love this recap of the 1998 movie Great Expectations by @miss_moss http://t.co/btRTA3Mhv0

20. Alouette Friday 20 June, 2014 at 11:03 am #

One of my favorite films ever! I have the dvd and watch it every now and then. Anyone notice the only color in the film is green and a little bit of its complimentary color, red! Oh, and the music in that scene where they run away from the restaurant is to die for!