Raoul Dufy in America

i have a folder of paintings by Raoul Dufy on my mac that i look at every now and then, sometimes i set them as my desktop wallpaper… and then i have to set it back to something else because they are just too bright, beautiful and colourful for me to look at 24/7. i have been wanting to do a post about him for ages but wasn’t sure in what context – until i found these images of an elderly Dufy visiting the USA in 1950, where he was being treated for crippling arthritis. he used to fasten the brush to his hands just so he could continue working.

Raoul Dufy visits America

sadly it is believed that Dufy died as a result of the continuos arthritis treatment he was receiving, due to mixing his medication with aspirin. also, interestingly, it is has been suggested that rheumatoid arthritis was more common in artists of that day who used intensely bright colours due to the heavy metals present in the pigment. it also didn’t help that most of them were smokers. can you imagine a french artist without a cigarette or pipe in their hand?

you can read the Life Magazine article here. photographs by Gjon Mili.

Raoul Dufy in America

“disgusted by the drum majorettes”

Raoul Dufy in America

“Brooklyn Bridge was rapidly sketched from the front seat of a moving car in which Dufy made three slow trips across the bridge”

Raoul Dufy in America

above: a portrait of the photographer painted by Dufy.

Raoul Dufy in America

here are some of my favourite Raoul Dufy pieces.

Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy
Raoul Dufy Self Portrait

, , , ,

11 Responses to Raoul Dufy in America

1. Fernand et Firmin Monday 4 August, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

Those Life pictures are excellent !

2. Amber Monday 4 August, 2014 at 6:38 pm #

I’ve never heard of Raoul Duffy before, but I’m so happy that I found this post and his work here. I love that gorgeously vibrant purple painting featuring the flowers, as well as the grey scaled one with the tree. Seriously, I can’t stop staring at them. Amazing.

3. Nina Monday 4 August, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

Oh my! I LOVE these paintings! I never knew he spent time in NYC and painted there. How wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing these. I so needed this today to give me a swift kick in the butt and get painting! I’m so inspired now! Thank you!

4. tforia Monday 4 August, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

Gorgeous colors! He seems like a romantic eccentric – snazzy dresser too!

tforia.com // discover the best shops online

5. Catherine Toews (@CatherineToews) Monday 4 August, 2014 at 9:09 pm #

“Raoul Dufy in America” http://t.co/XuRfL2gMRH

6. Brianna Tuesday 5 August, 2014 at 1:55 am #

Beautiful paintings!

7. Steph Tuesday 5 August, 2014 at 3:45 am #

Those images are all so beautiful.

8. @sarahnats Wednesday 6 August, 2014 at 2:49 am #

obsessed with these illustrations by Raoul Dufy. http://t.co/ySG1K44kHz

9. Alex Wednesday 6 August, 2014 at 8:47 am #

I feel so touched by the photos of him. I am so glad that I have come across this post, and I would like to discover more about the artist and his creations.

10. @OshiroDesign Friday 15 August, 2014 at 7:10 pm #

Love looking at great art? Check out these sketches & paintings: http://t.co/yQxkK3yWFG

11. caroline Sunday 17 August, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

Love the colours and the sketchy-ness about these paintings. Never heard of him before but will be investigating. Those photos of him at work are fascinating too. There is something so intreaguing about watching people as they work.