things i like right now by mallory of where the lovely things are
- Being a hermit…. rather like Katharine Hepburn. I can be pretty anti-social at times. Now is definitely one of those times. I’ve been acting like a veritable hermit lately, & I’m completely content with it.
- Gowns. Yes, I like being a hermit… but I’d like to be a hermit wearing a gown. Sitting around in my home… reading a book…. and wearing a wildly expensive design gown. Like one pictured (from Monique Lhuillier’s Spring 2010 ready-to-wear collection).
- Shelves. I have a lot, a lot, a lot of books. And dvds. And…. stuff. Thus – I need a lot of shelves. These ones from We Do Wood are pretty fantastic.
- The top Helena Christensen is wearing in this picture.
- Tsumori Chisato for Petit Bateau. This dress is made for a child. I still want it.
- Sloths. This one happens to share my coloring. Just kidding. Not really, he really does.
- Old fashioned dancing. My dancing style is more akin to these folks in The Boat That Rocked / Pirate Radio than “modern dancing”. I never knew what to do with myself at high school dances. I’d rather stub my toe or lightly slam my finger in a car door than go to a dance club.
- Capes. I’ve never owned a cape. Strike that – I’ve never owned a cape that wasn’t part of a costume. I had a shiny silk pink cape bedecked with stars once (hand sewn by my mother) – I wore it on Halloween. I think I was supposed to be a princess…. a princess with a cape. Anyway – I’d like a non-costume cape as well.
- Stila Lip Rouge. I am completely incapable of doing anything complicated with make-up. If I had some extra money, I’d immediately take some sort of course in make-up application. Stila Lip Rouge is marker-style lip color. Easy as pie. I just got a tube a week or so ago, and I feel like I must have used 1/2 of it already. I wish that all forms of make-up came in marker form.
- A sprinkle bedecked cake from Sprinkle Bakes
- Kevin the Bird from Up. Can a bird be a human’s hero? I don’t know, but I think Kevin is one of mine.
- Ruth Brown. Watch this video to see why I love her. Sometimes when I’m driving (alone – there are few people I’d do the following in front of) I’ll try to sing like her… adding the squeak to the end of sentences of song… the intense facial expressions. Thankfully, I don’t drive with a tambourine. That’d be worse than people who text and drive, probably.
- Vintage Valentines. I think they’re appropriate year-round. No need to wait for February to spread the love.
things i like right now by lauren of lost is a place too
01. coffee from C’est La Vie / 02. leather and denim / 03. Neutral tones / 04. Weddings – pic by Otto Schulze of Love made me do it’s wedding / 05. Veldskoen / 06. Succulents / 07. Kittens With Mittens’ brooches / 08. Miss Texas 1977 – photo by Kathalijne / 09. Bicycle Riding photo by Thaya Bedford / 10. Fonts
things i like right now by casey of sibling mine
note: i asked casey if she’d like to participate in the series and she went above and beyond. apart from making this rad collage herself, she trekked to an internet cafe to send it! casey is awesome. please click on it to see it LARGE.
this story about cowboys (hummana hummana):
this scene in mad men (did you watch it?)
… also this scene (those glasses)
this photograph by andrew knowles:
this slice of perfection:
these bags by cambridge satchel company:
this photograph from this set of kodachromes:
this alarm clock:
this post about mia farrow:
these shoes by dieppa restrepo:
this picture of harrison ford (hummana hummana):
this handkerchief map wedding invitation:
and this swimsuit calendar featuring zach galifinakis made me laugh, a lot.
things i like right now by kate of black cherry
- Colour at Jil Sander: These brights make me so happy. Jil Sander pulls off colour with pure class.
- Pictures of Cats: Not the LOL kind. There’s something special about capturing a moment with a cat on camera. Probably because they can be so aloof.
- Vredehoek: Friends’ balconies, warm summer evenings, saturday morning walks to the Spar – Vredehoek feels like home and I don’t even live there. Image via HighArt/LowLife
- Unusual Hats: I heart hats. Give me a turban, fez, bowler or boater and I’m yours! Image via Yvan Rodic
- Models who read backstage: Fighting the stereotype that models are stupid one novel at a time.
- Socks: I must have inherited my love of socks from my mom. Polkadots, stripes, argyle, Nordic print – she has a pair to match any outfit. I’ve started my own collection, but it pales in comparison to hers. Image via Teen Vogue
- Blog Books: Few things make me happier than my collection of blog books. All I need is Fifi Lapin’s “What Shall I Wear Today?” and my life will be complete.
- Kris Atomic: a freelance illustrator from Brighton who has the coolest blog and makes the most amazing drawings.
- These Outfits: Simple. Classic. Effortless. Chic. Everything an outfit should be. Left: The Sartorialist ; Right: Hanneli Mustaparta
- My Margot Molyneux Cape: Local designer Margot Molyneux fulfilled my sartorial dreams when she made me this camel cape. I swear it has magical powers.
things i like right now by jessica of destined to design
- Hiking Fern Dell at Griffith Park & brunching at The Trails…the ideal Sunday afternoon.
- Richard Neutra’s architecture. Lately I’ve been re-discovering and lusting over all of his work.
- Essie’s Mucho Dinero nailpolish. Alas, I’ve discovered the perfect neutral.
- A.R. Trapp Quadra sunglasses.
- Laura Lombardi’s jewelry – without a doubt my favorite designer currently.
- Delorean‘s Subiza album. I like to run in the mornings and this is the ultimate soundtrack.
- Denim button-up’s. I’ve just recently found one at H&M and haven’t taken it off since.
- Braids – I’m determined to grow my hair out and make this look work for fall.
- The interiors at Bottega Louie in Downtown Los Angeles. Simply stunning.
- The backpack as a purse replacement. Totally utilitarian, but also kind of stylish.
- The Container Store’s letter boxes in orange for my office. From afar, they look like Hermès. ;)
- My Teux Deux list – it keeps me endlessly organized.
- Hear Black – their photography, their Etsy shop, their taste in music. And Nathan & Katie are just so darn cute.
- Carey Mulligan – I adore pretty much everything about her.
- Salted caramel desserts, my new vice.
i actually have a guest post at jessica’s blog today about my fall favourites, read it here.
these photos by jessica todd harper.
this garden makes me so jealous.
her pants and her braid
this bag at santokivintage (it was sold when i checked again, darnit!)
these boots from topsy design
this outfit at totokaelo
and finally, janine from being brazen kindly asked me to share my bucket list (click to read the notes)
things i like right now by katherine of anything goes
- Picnics. There’s not much to compare to the simple pleasure of a baguette, cheese and a bottle of wine – particularly when enjoyed on the banks of the Seine.
- Stripes. Print by Valerie Galloway.
- Shoes by United Nude. I still haven’t got myself a pair of these yet, but the lo res design are my recent favourites. United Nude is the footwear brand co-founded by architect Rem D. Koolhaas.
- Babies. Perhaps because my sister just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. I’m not usually that maternal – so I’m expecting this phase to pass :)
- Street art spotted while wandering.
- Fresh flowers. Especially when bought at a local market.
- Caramel au beurre salé glaces. (Salted butter caramel ice cream) I first tasted this in Paris and recently made my own batch from this recipe.
- Guerlain perfume. Specifically, Mitsouko, created in 1919. Guerlain is one of the oldest perfume houses in the world. In fact, I’m a little scent obsessed … look out for a post on that soon…
- I have to admit I’m a fan of the the rom-com genre. Intellectual it’s not, but sometimes a girl just needs a good laugh and a little romance from a movie. L’Arnacoeur (The Heartbreaker) make me laugh out loud – watch it, if only for the dance scenes! *disclaimer – I may have been seriously affected by jet lag when judging this movie.
- Spotify. Sadly, not available in SA yet.
- Geeky specs. Just because.
- And finally, Pedicures. Nothing like a little pampering. It’s time to pack away the boots and put on sandals.
i’m not sure what’s going on here, but i like it. visit the something’s hiding in here blog.
i wanted to take that statue home with me. more paris here. more black and white here.