another edition of these things . . .
this photo of james dean
michelle williams looking cool lately
a bunch of young republican studs, 1958
… and probably my favourite pic of the week.
the first things i like right now of 2011! yep, still continuing the series as it is rad. i’ll be introducing the participants with a little bit of background info from now on. chris is a cool guy i know from twitter, one of the many capetonians / south africans i talk to on a regular basis but have never met in real life. we share an appreciation for wes anderson, jason schwartzman & zach galifianakis. come to think of it, why hasn’t galifianakis been in a wes anderson film yet?
- My Booky Wook 2 by Russell Brand.
- My old “Donnie Darko” Adidas
- Great Showdowns by Scott C.
- Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis.
- An early morning jog.
- Castle Lite.
- Dexter (I only started watching it recently)
- Rachel from Glee.
- Skrillex (Especially his new EP “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites“)
- Collecting old frames*
* it was totally Chris’ idea to put all the pictures from his list in frames. i imagine his walls to look like so.
this shaded garden is awesome
a bespectacled brigitte bardot – quality!
i’m slightly confused by this image (has it been fiddled with in photoshop?) – but i like it a lot.
aaah, snowy + dreamy.
spotted this dapper dude – then immediately noticed the bench he was sitting on. as a south african i still get a feeling of unease when i see images like this… wish there were more clues as to where it was taken.
do you have any new years resolutions? i have some in the back of my mind, but they’re more like life resolutions than new years resolutions. perhaps they’re more like to stick that way.
you know those rich people who live in one part of the world for 6 months and then scoot over to another hemisphere so they can sweat and simmer in summer all year round? yeah. i’m the opposite of those people. i would take my billions and travel to where it’s always autumny and cool – all the time.
illustration: jen collins / hellojenuine
i have to admit that this post is mostly due to the fact that we’re experiencing 40°C / 104°F degree heat right now (and it’s not even february yet, groan.) i’m not a habitual complainer, promise – i’m lucky enough to live in a country that has the kind of weather everyone wants: mostly sunny, mostly all the time and mostly devoid of extreme weather conditions – unless you count the south easter in cape town as extreme.
photo: nich hance mcelroy
perhaps that’s why i yearn for cold weather as much as i do.
photo: emerson merrick
a lot of my readers are from overseas, and you’re probably rolling your eyes at me right now! but when i was in europe for a time and experienced the kind of cold people in the northern hemisphere are used to, i totally reveled in it.
photo: diana catherine
photo: kirill kuletski
if i wake up in the morning and it’s raining? that makes me happy.
photo: natalie kucken
photo: george eastman house
if i get to wear boots all day long? double happy.
all boots: totokaelo
if i have to put an extra blanket on my bed at night? that’s me basically dying of happiness.
photo: tess holley
quilts from kim eichler-messmer
… and if it starts SNOWING? i’d probably pass out from joy.
photo: daniel gebhart de koekkoek
photo: vladimir kostromitsky
1. reliving hip hop from days gone by – de la soul (pictured), the fugees, lauryn hill, a tribe called quest, notorious b.i.g, beastie boys, jungle brothers, dead prez … will smith and dj jazzy jeff (!) hell, even black eyed peas before fergie & elephunk. the stuff i jammed to in high school / uni. i have to admit i am not a hip hop aficionado, something that perhaps should be remedied.
2. tucking in your shirt – do it, you’ll feel instantly snappier. image source.
3. road trips – seeing more beyond your front door. image source.
4. wearable heels – i have many pairs of black & fancy heels – that i only bought for and wear on special occasions. i kind of hate them all. so i would like to purchase a nice pair that i won’t be scared of wearing during the day, and will also gussy things up at night. perhaps something by rachel comey? it’s nice to dream.
5. drawing & painting – went out the other day and dropped some cash on new inks, quills, brushes and nice paper. want to start drawing and creating again. might even show you the results if they’re good enough. image source.
6. live shows – if you’re from south africa you’ll understand that international bands don’t come here all too often, so when they do grace our shores people get mega excited. in the next 3 months i’ll be seeing U2 (hate on U2 as much as you want – but they were the first band i ever saw live, when i was 14 years old and i LOVED it); rammstein (till lindemann in leather / shirtless playing with fire, do i need another reason?) – and kings of leon (another case of haters gonna hate.) my biggest dream is to see arcade fire & daft punk perform in my area code. image source.
7. watching old movies – received the original sabrina on dvd for christmas & also have a few classics lined up such as some like it hot, the sting (pictured), roman holiday, the italian job etc. what are your favourites? suggestions welcome…
8. tomato & basil – i could eat plump tomatoes + fresh basil with olive oil, salt & pepper every day of the week for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and have done.) throw in a couple of perfectly cooked boiled eggies and i’m yours. image source.
9. more hamm please – not only is mad men coming back for another season (number 5 already! can you believe it) but my beloved jon hamm is also in 3 films coming out this year. okay okay, he’s everyone’s beloved jon hamm. also just have to quote this great write up from celebitchy’s top ten men of 2010 (give me a break, i read gossip sites)
The Hamm has to be Number One. You know why? Because The Hamm goes commando, just for the hell of it. Because The Hamm got the shaft when People Magazine named Douchey McGerbil Ryan Reynolds as their Sexiest Man Alive. Because The Hamm continues to bring the shiz on Mad Men, four season and counting. Because The Hamm needs to win more awards, NOW. Because one of the greatest moments of television history was seeing Don Draper in a suit and sunglasses standing on the New York street while Mick Jagger belts out “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”. Because The Hamm also rocked in The Town, proving that he can play a steely, hard-ass law-enforcement type. Because The Hamm is a gentleman and a feminist who talks about women and relationships and gender equality like a fully-functioning adult. Because The Hamm doesn’t screw around on his girlfriend of more than a decade. And mostly because of the commando thing.
so it’s the eve of a new year, which means a run down of the past 12 months is appropriate. i cannot believe how much this little blog has grown in that time – all thanks to you guys with your wonderful comments, link love, retweets and the like. miss moss even appeared in a real life printed magazine, like some kind of grown up.
so, according to the stats these were the standout posts of 2010…
most popular post: stuff
most popular post: photography
the photography of mariam sitchinava
most popular post: vintage
teen fashions won this by a mile. got to love the life magazine archive
most popular post: fashion
this is my favourite too – art on the streets, pairing street style images with paintings
most popular post: design
not surprisingly since the movie is so hyped right now, black swan posters
most popular post: art
i love the fact that outsider art was so popular (just an absolute favourite of mine)
most popular post: illustration
the sweet fashion illustrations of derek cardigan
most popular post: living
small is cool – where i rambled on about how clever people decorate their studio apartments
most popular post: food
most popular post: amusing
i actually ended up deleting this category, though cat fashion show obviously won & still amuses me.
most popular music mix
according to the download stats, your favourite music mix was you called me after midnight – probably the most unexpected one as it took the least time to put together & is the most chilled of them all. go figure.
2010 was also the year i got to visit paris again – i enjoyed sharing my photos with you
i especially loved learning more about you with things i like right now – a series i hope to continue in 2011
i hope your 2011 is most enjoyable, and thanks as always for visiting. xo
dear twitter, thanks for introducing me to matt who describes himself as a ‘builder, designer and tinkerer’ (i like that.) his blog wood & faulk is where he records his projects involving building, designing and tinkering. he also has a shop that’s stocked with all sorts of nice stuff. check out this cork wrapped french porteur handlebar he put together for his bike…
i mean really, go matt!