i had been to père lachaise cemetery once before on a previous trip to paris, but had literally run in and out in a frenzy of sightseeing just to look at jim morrison’s grave (one of those shameless things you just have to do, like visiting the eiffel tower.) this time round i had plenty of […]READ MORE
i’ll be gone for ten days, so it’s going to be a bit quiet around here. regular posting to resume soon. photos by meREAD MORE
- The Runaways – 70s Rock ‘n Roll played by wayward teenage girls
- Denim on Denim ala George Harrison
- Cape Town jewellery design label Oh Dear, Megan by Megan Fogarty – In love with this particular ring, she has used the inside of a vintage watch to make it.
- Working from home
- Rock biographies – Just finished “I was Keith Richards’ drug dealer” by Tony Sanchez. Eye-opening.
- The photography of 17 year old Australian, Nirrimi. – At 17 I might’ve had hobbies but this girl has a career. She has just shot for the Diesel ‘Be Stupid’ catalogue.
- My new specs – Only found out a week ago that I need to wear glasses. The novelty hasn’t worn off yet so I’m like a kid with a new toy.
- Top knots – Ever-convenient and they somehow make you look slimmer, weird.
- Rose printed upholstery – In my early teens I was so ashamed of the out-of-date rose printed couches we had in our lounge. Now l want them to be left to me!
- Thomas Pepler’s film photography – Local Cape Town designer with an incredible eye for photography. Jealousy-inducing.
- I spend way to much time sitting down. Maybe if I had an Eames dowel base chair, I wouldn’t mind as much.
- I love Paul Theroux‘s books. In preparation for my American holiday, I’m reading The Old Patagonian Express – his journey by train through north and south America. Terribly nerdy, I know.
- Although its name sounds like a cancer ward, the Chemosphere house is a modernist masterpiece.
- The Citroen DS Pallas is one of the few cars that would convince me to drive more.
- I’m turning 30 next week, and I think it’s a good enough reason to buy myself a Canon G11, don’t you?
- American Apparel Standard t-shirts in any colour as long as they’re white.
- I need a canvas and leather satchel in my life. This one would do nicely.
- I love the simplicity and aesthetic of fixed gear bikes and I’m particularly psyched with my new Cannondale Track.
- Big up to the sales assistant at Selfridges for convincing me that Tom Ford Black Orchid “isn’t just a women’s fragrance”.
- Not having a TV means I have to be selective about what I watch. One show I never miss is Mad Men – it makes me want to work in a *proper* ad agency.
- I don’t really “do” jewellery, but I made an exception for this Konzuk ring in concrete and white gold.
- I’m off to New York on Saturday. And I CANNOT WAIT.
- Red Wing boots have been on my wish list ever since I spotted Kim Jones rocking a pair at Toffie Fest.
- I wanted a calculator watch soooo bad when I was a kid. It’s great that Casio have reissued them.
things i like right now by niel of a hymn
- Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
- Black Prairie – Feast of the Hunters’ Moon
- Jonsi – Go
- Titus Andronicus – The Monitor
- Spaghetti Bolognese (eating it and making it)
- Long weekends with nothing to do.
- Starting work at 10 every Monday
- Yellow = (0 Cyan) (20 Magenta) (100 Yellow) (0 black)
- My secret free mp3 websites that I can’t tell you about because they are secret.
- This presentation
- Anything that can stop the censorship of the press. Without freedom of speech we are nothing.
newspaper image from brandon longREAD MORE
current wants indelicately smashed into one post
i want to go to there…
… and to there
i want everything rachel comey has ever made
… as well as mostly everything from asos
i want this calendar
… and this book
i want to bring back a bike from velo vintage in paris
i want joelle to keep posting old family photos…
i want to be friends with this girl because she looks rad. okay maybe i just want to be her.
i want to swim with these dogs (strangely enough)
i want to high five this guy
i want to be a kid again
and i want to marry jon hamm. the end.READ MORE
kate is one of my best friends who i met in high school. she is an aspiring bag designer – keep an eye out for this lady.
things i like right now by kate of mooi mooi
- Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in sepia ink with ultra fine eyeliner brush – its super easy to apply and long wearing so I don’t end up looking like a raccoon at the end of a long day (or night).
- Collect necklaces – especially the bokkie :)
- Peonies – a bunch of these beauties is the easiest way to get into my good books ;)
- Narciso Rodriguez for her – thanks to Miss Moss for introducing me to this, its no. 1 on my Christmas wishlist.
- Smashbox Photo Op Under Eye Brightener – I love this product. Think YSL Touche Eclat, just more affordable.
- My grandfather’s Praktica Super TL camera.
- Smith’s Rosebud Salve – forget eight hour cream, this is a miracle in a tin.
- Greta Garbo inspired Dior ad campaign.
- Patterns in my coffee – I have become such a regular at my local Vida that the baristas make a game of creating new and interesting patterns in my double meia froth. Both the coffee and the photo are by a friend of mine, Nathalie. Too cute.
- Feminine, lingerie inspired, summer frocks.
- Donna Karan Double Zip Messenger Bag – wouldn’t mind it being a bit smaller though… guess i need make my own version ;)
- Vintage margazit brooch from my mom – priceless.
- Comfy flat shoes for long summer walks with my dogs.
i need to get myself some of that eyeliner and eye brightener, am a serious sufferer of panda eyesREAD MORE
the september Elle magazine has been out since mid-august, and i was determined to wait till september to actually post about this – but i am far too impatient for my own good….
kim, lana, lauren and i were lucky enough to be featured in their spring issue for ‘the scoop on spring’. in case you read the article and were wondering what on earth i was talking about – here’s my post about atonement & morris and here is the old mac daddy trailer park. i also mentioned silk blouses, this is what i had in mind:
if you discovered my blog through the Elle, welcome! and thanks Elle mag, what an honour.READ MORE
- Bare ankles and APC loafers – I want some so badly
- Finnish patterns by Sanna Annukka
- My vintage children’s book collection- because a part of me will never grow up
- Triangle necklace by Laura Lombardi – because triangles are cool
- Scalloped shorts – so pretty
- Barcelona chair by Mies van der Rohe – a classic
- The Tallest Man on Earth – a little Swedish man who plays the banjo
- Mad Men – no explanation needed here
- Mast Brothers – chocolate, awesome beards and beautiful packaging
- Lizzy Stewart – I wish I could draw like her
- Coralie Bickford-Smith’s book cover designs
if ever i had a blogging twin, wolf eyebrows would be it. i can’t count how many times catherine and i have unintentionally done identical posts. so if you like the content around here, definitely pay her a visit :)
ps: those shorts!READ MORE
a bit of history: jessica and her twin sister debra and i have been friends since we were in grade 2 (around 7 years old). jessica and luke own & run nook eatery, the restaurant in stellenbosch i am constantly prattling on about. go eat there!
- Growing my own vegetable/herb garden (this is part of Jessica’s garden, by the way)
- Double denim – I want to be her!
- Gucci Eau de Parfum II – thanks Diana for introducing me to this fragrance 7 years ago.
- Rompers – My mom made one for me when I was 8 years old, and I lived in it every chance I had. It was yellow with blue straps that tied on the shoulders. I am searching for one for summer, and this denim one worn by Alessandra Ambrosio in NYC is near perfect!
- Spring flowers – it is this time of year that I buy more flowers than I know what to do with. Ranunculi (otherwise known as Persian Buttercups) are my favourite.
- Jean Gillon Leather Rosewood Sofa circa 1960s – I saw this couch at Pier Rabe Bosman’s Crossing showroom, and it was love at first touch and sight. At R22,000.00 it’s a fantasy rather than reality, but I can dream.
- Lemon Meringue Pie – I made some for Nook this week and was lucky enough to share a piece with Luke on Tuesday afternoon after work in the Botanical Gardens.
- Boston Terriers by Rubenacker – discovered through a random search on etsy. This print and others in his collection made me smile inside and out.
- Style contrast – Fascinated with this pic from The Sartorialist
- Quilts – perfect for picnics, and I am determined to make one this year!
- A bar cart – I don’t know if I would strictly use this for alcohol, but something about owning one is just so appealing.
- Retro food – I love the series Mad Men, especially when they mention classic dishes such as Iceberg Wedge salad with Blue Cheese, Oysters, Crab and Avocado, and Fillet Mignon. I find myself cursing the TV when they fail to actually show the food as it arrives in front of them! In Episode 1 of Season 4, Don Draper is going on a date to a restaurant and Roger Sterling says, “Have the chicken Kiev. Butter squirts everywhere.” Oh … wow …
hahaha, really laughed at the retro food. i’m also totally fascinated & grossed out by it!READ MORE