Amanda Jane Jones is a talented graphic designer and all-round nice gal who many of you will probably know from the blogosphere and her work with Kinfolk. she has a great series on her blog called My Better Half which is a fun & lighthearted look at couples and their love stories…
this little blog has been going for almost 3 years now, and as it grew i began to receive enquiries about advertising & sponsorship opportunities from people all over the world. i’ve been holding off on that for a long time, because i wanted the blog to grow and develop naturally and,…
- Bulldogs. I have an unnatural love for my bulldog, Elvis (that’s him in the pic.) He gets treated like a child and I can’t imagine a life without that fat little thing snoring next to me. I’m noticing a lot more bulldogs popping up though. In advertisements, at cafes, in the parks etc. They’re definitely popular at the moment, which is awesome. One bulldog is funny. Two is hilarious.
- Having a local. The beer revolution is gaining steam in Cape Town, as micro-breweries gain momentum. People are starting to appreciate how good real beer can be. This means for the first time in a long time there is a bar I visit a couple of times a week to feel at home. The place? Brewers & Union, Bree Street. My beer of choice? Berne. Nutty, full of honey and a nice smooth finish. [ &Union Photo from Bree Street ]
- Watching TV. I think it’s because of all the functions I’ve been going to, but time spent chilling on the couch has become absolute gold. And I’m catching up with some great shows. Dexter, Californication, Arrested Development, Boardwalk Empire, 30 Rock and Modern Family are my picks.
- Tailored shorts. We’re not 18 anymore. Oversized, baggy shorts don’t interest me. A nice, fitted pair of shorts is the most versatile thing in my wardrobe. So I’ve got a couple. They can be dressed up with a great shirt, or just worn with a v-neck and sandals. If you’re brave enough you can throw on a jacket and wear them to smarter functions.
- Dressing up instead of down. For some reason I’m digging it. Crisp shirts, bow-ties, skinny ties and even suspenders have been pulled out pretty often lately
- Limes. Walk out of a shop with a bag of limes and you already feel one step closer to holiday. They’re perfect for outdoor, summer cooking but more importantly they’re great for outdoor summer boozing. Mojitos, caipirinhas, or even just vodka straight from the freezer on crushed ice. Fresh limes are vital.
- Boat shoes. I spent 3 weeks travelling through Europe and spent time on every one of those days looking for the perfect pair. I came home empty handed and found a pair in Country Road. Go figure.
- Vegetables. Don’t get me wrong, I still love meat. But I read a few books that changed my life and I am now only able to eat meat when I know EXACTLY where it came from. Most people don’t stop to think about the cruelty that goes into farming animals. I only eat free-range meat from animals that have been treated with respect. So I’ve gotten to appreciate that vegetarian meals don’t have to be boring. [ Photo by Brandt Botes ]
- Being married. Yeah, yeah, I know. It’s bit cheesy. But in a year when I have taken massive risks and chased a few dreams having someone to support me along the way has been incredible.
- Bistros. There’s a time and a place for foams, froths, smears, bubbles, jellies etc. But my favourite style of cooking still remains simple produce, with clean uncluttered flavours.
- Pinot Noir. As I continue to learn about wine from some of the best in the business, Pinot Noir has leapt out at me as my favourite. I love it’s versatility. I’m a big fan of Paradyskloof, Oak Valley and – if you’re treating yourself – Hamilton Russel.
this picture of elvis from this amazing post
this post about the south
these guys and their bikes
this white leica
this dress from alexis mabille s/s 2011
this wine label
this girl (perfect)
this illustration of what to watch by alex latimer
this picture of bob dylan hailing a cab
this picture of jon hamm (sigh)
this woman – incredible.
these harlequin romance covers
this cat (!!!!!!!!!)
keira knightley’s skirt
and the look on this dragonfly’s face (hehehe)
- Being a hermit…. rather like Katharine Hepburn. I can be pretty anti-social at times. Now is definitely one of those times. I’ve been acting like a veritable hermit lately, & I’m completely content with it.
- Gowns. Yes, I like being a hermit… but I’d like to be a hermit wearing a gown. Sitting around in my home… reading a book…. and wearing a wildly expensive design gown. Like one pictured (from Monique Lhuillier’s Spring 2010 ready-to-wear collection).
- Shelves. I have a lot, a lot, a lot of books. And dvds. And…. stuff. Thus – I need a lot of shelves. These ones from We Do Wood are pretty fantastic.
- The top Helena Christensen is wearing in this picture.
- Tsumori Chisato for Petit Bateau. This dress is made for a child. I still want it.
- Sloths. This one happens to share my coloring. Just kidding. Not really, he really does.
- Old fashioned dancing. My dancing style is more akin to these folks in The Boat That Rocked / Pirate Radio than “modern dancing”. I never knew what to do with myself at high school dances. I’d rather stub my toe or lightly slam my finger in a car door than go to a dance club.
- Capes. I’ve never owned a cape. Strike that – I’ve never owned a cape that wasn’t part of a costume. I had a shiny silk pink cape bedecked with stars once (hand sewn by my mother) – I wore it on Halloween. I think I was supposed to be a princess…. a princess with a cape. Anyway – I’d like a non-costume cape as well.
- Stila Lip Rouge. I am completely incapable of doing anything complicated with make-up. If I had some extra money, I’d immediately take some sort of course in make-up application. Stila Lip Rouge is marker-style lip color. Easy as pie. I just got a tube a week or so ago, and I feel like I must have used 1/2 of it already. I wish that all forms of make-up came in marker form.
- A sprinkle bedecked cake from Sprinkle Bakes
- Kevin the Bird from Up. Can a bird be a human’s hero? I don’t know, but I think Kevin is one of mine.
- Ruth Brown. Watch this video to see why I love her. Sometimes when I’m driving (alone – there are few people I’d do the following in front of) I’ll try to sing like her… adding the squeak to the end of sentences of song… the intense facial expressions. Thankfully, I don’t drive with a tambourine. That’d be worse than people who text and drive, probably.
- Vintage Valentines. I think they’re appropriate year-round. No need to wait for February to spread the love.
- Colour at Jil Sander: These brights make me so happy. Jil Sander pulls off colour with pure class.
- Pictures of Cats: Not the LOL kind. There’s something special about capturing a moment with a cat on camera. Probably because they can be so aloof.
- Vredehoek: Friends’ balconies, warm summer evenings, saturday morning walks to the Spar – Vredehoek feels like home and I don’t even live there. Image via HighArt/LowLife
- Unusual Hats: I heart hats. Give me a turban, fez, bowler or boater and I’m yours! Image via Yvan Rodic
- Models who read backstage: Fighting the stereotype that models are stupid one novel at a time.
- Socks: I must have inherited my love of socks from my mom. Polkadots, stripes, argyle, Nordic print – she has a pair to match any outfit. I’ve started my own collection, but it pales in comparison to hers. Image via Teen Vogue
- Blog Books: Few things make me happier than my collection of blog books. All I need is Fifi Lapin’s “What Shall I Wear Today?” and my life will be complete.
- Kris Atomic: a freelance illustrator from Brighton who has the coolest blog and makes the most amazing drawings.
- These Outfits: Simple. Classic. Effortless. Chic. Everything an outfit should be. Left: The Sartorialist ; Right: Hanneli Mustaparta
- My Margot Molyneux Cape: Local designer Margot Molyneux fulfilled my sartorial dreams when she made me this camel cape. I swear it has magical powers.
things i like right now by niel of a hymn
- Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
- Black Prairie – Feast of the Hunters’ Moon
- Jonsi – Go
- Titus Andronicus – The Monitor
- Spaghetti Bolognese (eating it and making it)
- Long weekends with nothing to do.
- Starting work at 10 every Monday
- Yellow = (0 Cyan) (20 Magenta) (100 Yellow) (0 black)
- My secret free mp3 websites that I can’t tell you about because they are secret.
- This presentation
- Anything that can stop the censorship of the press. Without freedom of speech we are nothing.
newspaper image from brandon long
kate is one of my best friends who i met in high school. she is an aspiring bag designer – keep an eye out for this lady.
things i like right now by kate of mooi mooi
- Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in sepia ink with ultra fine eyeliner brush – its super easy to apply and long wearing so I don’t end up looking like a raccoon at the end of a long day (or night).
- Collect necklaces – especially the bokkie :)
- Peonies – a bunch of these beauties is the easiest way to get into my good books ;)
- Narciso Rodriguez for her – thanks to Miss Moss for introducing me to this, its no. 1 on my Christmas wishlist.
- Smashbox Photo Op Under Eye Brightener – I love this product. Think YSL Touche Eclat, just more affordable.
- My grandfather’s Praktica Super TL camera.
- Smith’s Rosebud Salve – forget eight hour cream, this is a miracle in a tin.
- Greta Garbo inspired Dior ad campaign.
- Patterns in my coffee – I have become such a regular at my local Vida that the baristas make a game of creating new and interesting patterns in my double meia froth. Both the coffee and the photo are by a friend of mine, Nathalie. Too cute.
- Feminine, lingerie inspired, summer frocks.
- Donna Karan Double Zip Messenger Bag – wouldn’t mind it being a bit smaller though… guess i need make my own version ;)
- Vintage margazit brooch from my mom – priceless.
- Comfy flat shoes for long summer walks with my dogs.
i need to get myself some of that eyeliner and eye brightener, am a serious sufferer of panda eyes