things i like right now by mallory of where the lovely things are
- Being a hermit…. rather like Katharine Hepburn. I can be pretty anti-social at times. Now is definitely one of those times. I’ve been acting like a veritable hermit lately, & I’m completely content with it.
- Gowns. Yes, I like being a hermit… but I’d like to be a hermit wearing a gown. Sitting around in my home… reading a book…. and wearing a wildly expensive design gown. Like one pictured (from Monique Lhuillier’s Spring 2010 ready-to-wear collection).
- Shelves. I have a lot, a lot, a lot of books. And dvds. And…. stuff. Thus – I need a lot of shelves. These ones from We Do Wood are pretty fantastic.
- The top Helena Christensen is wearing in this picture.
- Tsumori Chisato for Petit Bateau. This dress is made for a child. I still want it.
- Sloths. This one happens to share my coloring. Just kidding. Not really, he really does.
- Old fashioned dancing. My dancing style is more akin to these folks in The Boat That Rocked / Pirate Radio than “modern dancing”. I never knew what to do with myself at high school dances. I’d rather stub my toe or lightly slam my finger in a car door than go to a dance club.
- Capes. I’ve never owned a cape. Strike that – I’ve never owned a cape that wasn’t part of a costume. I had a shiny silk pink cape bedecked with stars once (hand sewn by my mother) – I wore it on Halloween. I think I was supposed to be a princess…. a princess with a cape. Anyway – I’d like a non-costume cape as well.
- Stila Lip Rouge. I am completely incapable of doing anything complicated with make-up. If I had some extra money, I’d immediately take some sort of course in make-up application. Stila Lip Rouge is marker-style lip color. Easy as pie. I just got a tube a week or so ago, and I feel like I must have used 1/2 of it already. I wish that all forms of make-up came in marker form.
- A sprinkle bedecked cake from Sprinkle Bakes
- Kevin the Bird from Up. Can a bird be a human’s hero? I don’t know, but I think Kevin is one of mine.
- Ruth Brown. Watch this video to see why I love her. Sometimes when I’m driving (alone – there are few people I’d do the following in front of) I’ll try to sing like her… adding the squeak to the end of sentences of song… the intense facial expressions. Thankfully, I don’t drive with a tambourine. That’d be worse than people who text and drive, probably.
- Vintage Valentines. I think they’re appropriate year-round. No need to wait for February to spread the love.
things i like right now by kate of black cherry
- Colour at Jil Sander: These brights make me so happy. Jil Sander pulls off colour with pure class.
- Pictures of Cats: Not the LOL kind. There’s something special about capturing a moment with a cat on camera. Probably because they can be so aloof.
- Vredehoek: Friends’ balconies, warm summer evenings, saturday morning walks to the Spar – Vredehoek feels like home and I don’t even live there. Image via HighArt/LowLife
- Unusual Hats: I heart hats. Give me a turban, fez, bowler or boater and I’m yours! Image via Yvan Rodic
- Models who read backstage: Fighting the stereotype that models are stupid one novel at a time.
- Socks: I must have inherited my love of socks from my mom. Polkadots, stripes, argyle, Nordic print – she has a pair to match any outfit. I’ve started my own collection, but it pales in comparison to hers. Image via Teen Vogue
- Blog Books: Few things make me happier than my collection of blog books. All I need is Fifi Lapin’s “What Shall I Wear Today?” and my life will be complete.
- Kris Atomic: a freelance illustrator from Brighton who has the coolest blog and makes the most amazing drawings.
- These Outfits: Simple. Classic. Effortless. Chic. Everything an outfit should be. Left: The Sartorialist ; Right: Hanneli Mustaparta
- My Margot Molyneux Cape: Local designer Margot Molyneux fulfilled my sartorial dreams when she made me this camel cape. I swear it has magical powers.
things i like right now by niel of a hymn
- Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
- Black Prairie – Feast of the Hunters’ Moon
- Jonsi – Go
- Titus Andronicus – The Monitor
- Spaghetti Bolognese (eating it and making it)
- Long weekends with nothing to do.
- Starting work at 10 every Monday
- Yellow = (0 Cyan) (20 Magenta) (100 Yellow) (0 black)
- My secret free mp3 websites that I can’t tell you about because they are secret.
- This presentation
- Anything that can stop the censorship of the press. Without freedom of speech we are nothing.
newspaper image from brandon long
kate is one of my best friends who i met in high school. she is an aspiring bag designer – keep an eye out for this lady.
things i like right now by kate of mooi mooi
- Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in sepia ink with ultra fine eyeliner brush – its super easy to apply and long wearing so I don’t end up looking like a raccoon at the end of a long day (or night).
- Collect necklaces – especially the bokkie :)
- Peonies – a bunch of these beauties is the easiest way to get into my good books ;)
- Narciso Rodriguez for her – thanks to Miss Moss for introducing me to this, its no. 1 on my Christmas wishlist.
- Smashbox Photo Op Under Eye Brightener – I love this product. Think YSL Touche Eclat, just more affordable.
- My grandfather’s Praktica Super TL camera.
- Smith’s Rosebud Salve – forget eight hour cream, this is a miracle in a tin.
- Greta Garbo inspired Dior ad campaign.
- Patterns in my coffee – I have become such a regular at my local Vida that the baristas make a game of creating new and interesting patterns in my double meia froth. Both the coffee and the photo are by a friend of mine, Nathalie. Too cute.
- Feminine, lingerie inspired, summer frocks.
- Donna Karan Double Zip Messenger Bag – wouldn’t mind it being a bit smaller though… guess i need make my own version ;)
- Vintage margazit brooch from my mom – priceless.
- Comfy flat shoes for long summer walks with my dogs.
i need to get myself some of that eyeliner and eye brightener, am a serious sufferer of panda eyes
the september Elle magazine has been out since mid-august, and i was determined to wait till september to actually post about this – but i am far too impatient for my own good….
kim, lana, lauren and i were lucky enough to be featured in their spring issue for ‘the scoop on spring’. in case you read the article and were wondering what on earth i was talking about – here’s my post about atonement & morris and here is the old mac daddy trailer park. i also mentioned silk blouses, this is what i had in mind:
image from the sartorialist & equipment washed silk pocket shirt from net-a-porter
if you discovered my blog through the Elle, welcome! and thanks Elle mag, what an honour.
things i like right now by catherine of wolf eyebrows
- Bare ankles and APC loafers – I want some so badly
- Finnish patterns by Sanna Annukka
- My vintage children’s book collection- because a part of me will never grow up
- Triangle necklace by Laura Lombardi – because triangles are cool
- Scalloped shorts – so pretty
- Barcelona chair by Mies van der Rohe – a classic
- The Tallest Man on Earth – a little Swedish man who plays the banjo
- Mad Men – no explanation needed here
- Mast Brothers – chocolate, awesome beards and beautiful packaging
- Lizzy Stewart – I wish I could draw like her
- Coralie Bickford-Smith’s book cover designs
if ever i had a blogging twin, wolf eyebrows would be it. i can’t count how many times catherine and i have unintentionally done identical posts. so if you like the content around here, definitely pay her a visit :)
ps: those shorts!
things i like right now by mariah of size too small
- Candles & Candlestick Holders: Every day as soon as the sun sets, we light candles in our home. They create the best mood – super cozy.
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros: Do yourself a favor and listen to “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.
- Stationary: I love cards and stationary and Rifle Paper Company is at the top of my love list.
- American Apparel Deep Neck V T-shirt: I’ve been a long time fan of this particular shirt. I have it in a bunch of colors, but grey is my favorite.
- Window Pane Check Bedding: I’m obsessed with this simple graphic print for bedding.
- Eternity Scarves: These are the best- sewn in a circle, all you do is loop it around your neck. It holds the perfect shape all day. I wore mine all winter long.
- Rachel Comey Ankle Boot: I love this new ankle boot Rachel Comey has come out with. It’s the perfect shade of brown.
those boooooooots!!! actually, i want everything on mariah’s list. everything.
things i like right now by anthea of embracing style
- Google Translate – so I can read blogs that are in languages I don’t know how to read.
- Tank’s extra hour of half price sushi and cocktails
- T-strap pumps
- David West’s collection at Cape Town Fashion Week
- Watching True Blood Season 3 and Entourage Season 7
- Vintage Inspired Swimwear
- Wooden wedges
- Making new pictures look like old ones
- Cape Town Street Style
- New Look 50s Dresses as seen in Louis Vuitton RTW Fall 2010
i’m also loving true blood & those wooden platforms… and sushi and david west and fifties dresses and and and…
edit: i fixed the numbering now, am a bit slow this morning >_<
things i like right now by lauren of glossary
Hello Miss Moss Readers! Thanks for having me Di!
I love scribbling up wishlists. Here are ten things I’d love to get my paws on now!
- A return ticket to New York: Cliche’d perhaps but I want to experience all the movie-moments from hailing yellow cabs to eating giant pretzels in Central Park.
- Stamps from Nothing Elegant: I’m in love with this sweet range on Etsy.
- Diana Camera: I know every girl and her blog has one but I really want one too.
- Boater Hat: Pleeeease let me know if you see one in the shops!
- Mint Nailpolish: I keep seeing peppermint nails on the bloggers abroad and I’m utterly smitten with it too.
- A curling iron: I want to start experimenting with my hair more and this gizmo is just the ticket.
- Espadrilles: I hope they arrive in SA soon!
- 99 cones all round!
- Black Oxfords: I saw a pair like these a few months ago and totally regret not buying ‘em.
- Picnic set for parties out of a basket!
I hope you enjoyed my wish-list and I’d love to hear what you’re wishing for too!