Mariah is one of the guest bloggers who you can expect to see around here while i sort myself out come moving day, she is the lady behind the charming blog Quite Continental. i have really been enjoying her series that kicked off in february, the Quite Continental Charm School - where she and guest contributors provide daily tips on how to generate more class, and charm, into your everyday life. these are some of my favourites – click on them for the original posts.
YES! a new things i like right now by one of my favourite new-to-me bloggers Jen McCabe of Honey Kennedy (named for her grandmother). well not so new anymore i guess – i have been reading Jen’s blog for a while now and am consistently amazed by her discoveries with every post, especially in the fashion department. her things i like right now list is no less impressive, it has left me with several tabs open on my browser waiting to be explored. be sure to follow her on twitter as she is a fun gal to gab with (let’s bump top knots some time eh, Jen?)
1. Harold Pierce Cazneaux’s photography. His work is so incredibly striking. Hauntingly beautiful use of light—I especially love his portraits.
2. The Vaccines. I don’t tend to be very current in what I choose to listen to. I kind of lean on my shoegazery and 1960’s garage/psych/baroque pop laurels and it takes a nudge from a friend to get me to venture outside of that noise. My friend, Sasha, has a lot of the same music loves and she urged me to give these fellows a listen. I am now totally addicted to (and crushed out on) their record, What Did You Expect From The Vaccines. I also love Sasha’s new band with her husband, The Horoscopes!
3. Isson sunglasses. I’m super picky about sunglasses. I don’t mean that they have to be fancy—I have $5 sunglasses that I wear a lot—but I just don’t like most shapes on my big heart shaped head. I love both the pink and black ‘Bonnie’ style sunglasses from Isson. Isson’s Oscar and Louis styles are also very cool. Others I love are these Cutler + Gross shades for Cacharel.
4. Itty Bitty Kitty Committee. KITTENS KITTENS KITTENS. Laurie is a kitten whisperer and excellent photographer. I really love visiting her site for a happy pick me up. She really does amazing work for the Humane Society.
5. Fahrenheit 451 by François Truffaut. I guess it isn’t just this film that I’m really into right now, but all of the actor, Oskar Werner’s, films. I’ve had a mad crush on him since I was a teenager and I think his work is fantastic. I wish I could have seen him on the stage! My favorites are Fahrenheit 451 and Jules et Jim—of course, I love Jeanne Moreau and Julie Christie. I could go on for hours about movies.
6. My grandparents. John McCabe and Ellen Jacquelyn “Honey” Kennedy McCabe. I really miss them—they’ve both passed away. There is just so much I wish I could share with them and talk with them about. I miss hearing all their stories, laughing with them and hugging them. They were my pals.
7. Vintage Stanhope jewelry. I love the little peepshow aspect of the ‘optical bijou’ Stanhope novelty pieces. These binoculars from Erica Weiner’s shop is an especially cool example. I also love the nudey lady ring!
8. Lavenham. The new collection of women’s clothing from English horse blanket company, Lavenham, is making me rethink my feelings on quilted apparel. The styling for the lookbook is fantastic. I’m impressed that they were able to make these pieces so elegant—quilting can look so boxy or lumpy.
9. The Firework Studies book by Pierre Le Hors. Just so beautiful. I am so fascinated by stars and the night sky and this book seems to hit all those romantic notes for me… with fire. I love so much of Pierre Le Hors’ work.
10. Making music mixes. I really love making music mixes on 8tracks. I have an obscene amount of music and thoroughly enjoy the whole process of putting together a mixtape. You can find my mixes here.
11. Collages by Gloria Vilches. I think her work is so eye-catching and clever. A lot of people do collage, but rarely do people do it this well. My good friend, Steve Quenell, also makes collages that blow my mind. Psychedelic National Geographic! Ha.
12. Skulls. I don’t know why, but for the past year or so I’ve really admired some beautiful skull designs. Here are three of my favorites: the skull earrings by Like Atmosphere from Phucisme, Trevor Jackson’s porcelain skull with bunnies and the skull chandelier by Kelly Lamb. All out of my budget, but inspiring all the same.
13. Fille en Aiguilles (“Girls in the Pines”) perfume by Serge Lutens. Pine, vetiver, sugary sap, frankincense, candied fruit, spices, laurel and fir balsam. This perfume is heady and… well, lusty. I guess it is supposed to smell of girls laying on a forest floor—and this is exactly how I’d like to smell. I got it at my friend’s new Portland shop, Eden, but you can find it online as well.
14. ABRACADABRA pendant necklace from Aesa. Just the perfect magical necklace. It has a tiny pink sapphire embedded in it and comes on a nice long chain. Bewitching!
i’m so pleased to have a new Things I Like Right Now to share with everyone, and from one of my favourite bloggers – Anabela of Fieldguided. you probably know Anabela and her partner Geoff as the team behind the Fieldguided range (the latest Fluro Pink Tote has my heart). i always really look forward to her posts because of her great eye & a beautiful aesthetic that runs all the way through her blog. oh, she also co-runs a tumblr called Dream Cats which is THE BEST.
1. Round sunglasses
I don’t really need new sunglasses at the moment but that hasn’t stopped me from sighing over these round sunglasses on a near-daily basis. Top: Illesteva Frieda in Marmor & bottom: Karen Walker Rover in Deep Tortoise.
2. Constellation clutch from Scout & Catalogue
I’m a huge fan of Bre’s aesthetic (and a huge fan of Bre in general!), and like the idea of carrying a clutch out to parties when all I need to bring with me is some cash, lipstick, phone, and keys. I’m particularly drawn to this one.
Anja from Clever Nettle is basically the coolest girl, and her photography just keeps getting better and better. I’m such a sucker for the pictures she’s been taking using the white floors of her studio as a backdrop.
I don’t really care for interior design magazines much but I really like Apartamento. It has a really laid-back vibe to it, which I appreciate. No props, no staging — or if they do use props and staging, I wouldn’t know it. Image by Katie.
When I was in London recently I made the mistake of wearing a pair of wedges (beautiful shoes, just not appropriate for hours of walking, really). When we stopped in at Aubin & Wills, I made one of my few purchases of the trip: a pair of white Bensimon sneakers, which I put on immediately. Now that summer has arrived on this side of the world, I’m happy to have them. Image from Shopbop
6. NARS Schiap
I’ve written about this on my blog, but NARS Schiap is my favourite lipstick at the moment. I get loads of compliments when I wear it, and it lasts for hours! It’s a nice way for me to incorporate a little hot pink into my outfit, so to speak.
7. Ice cream photos
I love photos of ice cream. At the risk of sounding pretentious, it has such a lovely sculptural quality that I find pleasing, especially in soft serve form. Image by Annabel Ly
8. Acne pants
I love these snake pants by Acne! I love pants with elasticized bottoms — they look like really fancy sweatpants.
I was so excited when I first heard that HBO was going to make George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones into a miniseries. I have read the books, so I find the series easy enough to follow. My boyfriend Geoff hasn’t read the books, so while we’re watching the show he asks a lot of questions about the plot (there are so many characters and naturally, details are omitted from the series), and I actually relish talking about it with him. I’ve always loved the fantasy genre, although I’m also weirdly picky about it. It has to be just right, and this is just right.
It seems to be getting more difficult for me to feel excited about music (in all honesty, so much of it sounds straight-to-Starbucks-MOR to me, sorry!), but I have fallen hard for Austra. Maybe it appeals to that part of me that was semi-goth for a few months in high school. Katie Stelmanis’ voice has reduced me to tears a few times, for real.
I’m not even sure what they smell like, but the packaging on these perfumes is so good. And “Blanche” sounds as though it was made especially for me.
12. Cute hair & brows
I’ve been trying to grow out my fringe for a few months now. For a long time, a blunt fringe was something I relied on to give me an instant hairstyle: if I had the bangs, I didn’t have to worry about the rest of my hair. I think it’s time for a change, but the process has been tedious and frustrating! Luckily there are plenty of images like this one that inspire me to keep growing them out. If only I had her brows and eyes too. Image of Bambi Northwood-Blyth by Tim Barber for Muse Magazine.
Shini Park’s Park & Cube has long been one of my favourite fashion blogs. i’m always reblogging her photos on tumblr – not only because they are so beautiful (she is a designer after all) but she has an impeccable sense of style that makes me all kinds of envious. every time she posts something new i’m bound to say oh! those shoes or oh! that skirt etc. so i simply had to share her latest post how to wear stuff & turn you into a Park & Cube reader if you’re not one already.
all images courtesy of Park & Cube
hila tagged me in her seven facts post. i kind of love these things and have never done one… so decided to play along. i’m not going to tag anyone – but if you like this and end up doing one yourself, please leave the link in the comments!
1. the movie i have seen the most times in my life is the three amigos. over 100 times would not be an exaggeration.
every single time i watch it i try to hold my “three aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-migos” as long as they do..
2. my favourite food in the world is classic macaroni and cheese. here’s a good recipe.
3. the only heels i actually own are black ones, something i realised when trying to figure out what to wear to a wedding this weekend. this is not a good thing. i prefer wearing heeled boots to actual heels (perhaps because my legs are “sturdy” ? heh) – consequently i own a variety of beloved boots. can you wear boots to a wedding?
4. i grew up speaking afrikaans but now only speak english. my parents speak afrikaans to each other. my three brothers all speak afrikaans to eachother, my dad speaks afrikaans to them & vice versa, my youngest brother speaks english to my mom and vice versa, and i speak english to everyone. on top of that two of my brothers are married to lovely german ladies – so they and the four grandchildren sprechen ze deutsch. conversations when the family comes together can switch between english, afrikaans and german all in one sitting. this confuses outsiders… which is awesome.
ps: perhaps it seems ridiculous that i linked to a wikipedia article on what afrikaans is – but i have seen foreigners refer to it as “african” so many times it absolutely does my head in. south africa has 11 official languages, which is only the tip of the language iceberg … just so you know. nobody speaks ‘african’ – such a thing doesn’t exist.
my brother and i – one of my favourite photos ever.
5. i do not possess any apple products besides my circa 2007 classic ipod. no iphone, no mac, no ipad. the uncoolest designer / blogger award would go to me. that said, i grew up with PCs. they do not confuse or irritate me. everything i know about computers is PC based. so i ask myself…will i ever be able to make the switch? the best of both worlds would be nice… (are there any apple dudes reading? care to sponsor? i’m not desperate or anything.)
6. i know all the words to dead prez – hip-hop and cannot stop myself from rapping along every single time it shuffles into my playlist. yes, me rapping along IS as ridiculous as it sounds.
7. i have never broken any bones. hopefully this fact holds true forever.
Email me to find out about my ad rates or check out the about page for more info.
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009