i’ve already admitted to being a lazy cook. i resort to avocado or eggs on toast way more than i should (that goes for breakfast, lunch, dinner… snacks) and sometimes a can of chick peas or a tub of hummus is my only salvation. the problem is that i like fast food – as in, quick to make… not the unhealthy variety. ok i love pizza, who doesn’t?
stonesoup is a blog written by jules clancy who wants to help people become better cooks by using a minimalist approach to cooking. she says, “It’s about reducing the number of ingredients, the amount of equipment, the number of steps involved and the time we spend in the kitchen to a minimum so we can focus what’s important.” she shares great tips on how to stock your kitchen, saving money by not buying useless ingredients, making “2 dollar dinners” and tons more. check out the recipes, they are inspiring. she’s also written an ebook called 5 ingredients, 10 minutes.
i want these bangers in my mouth (he he he)
- Colour at Jil Sander: These brights make me so happy. Jil Sander pulls off colour with pure class.
- Pictures of Cats: Not the LOL kind. There’s something special about capturing a moment with a cat on camera. Probably because they can be so aloof.
- Vredehoek: Friends’ balconies, warm summer evenings, saturday morning walks to the Spar – Vredehoek feels like home and I don’t even live there. Image via HighArt/LowLife
- Unusual Hats: I heart hats. Give me a turban, fez, bowler or boater and I’m yours! Image via Yvan Rodic
- Models who read backstage: Fighting the stereotype that models are stupid one novel at a time.
- Socks: I must have inherited my love of socks from my mom. Polkadots, stripes, argyle, Nordic print – she has a pair to match any outfit. I’ve started my own collection, but it pales in comparison to hers. Image via Teen Vogue
- Blog Books: Few things make me happier than my collection of blog books. All I need is Fifi Lapin’s “What Shall I Wear Today?” and my life will be complete.
- Kris Atomic: a freelance illustrator from Brighton who has the coolest blog and makes the most amazing drawings.
- These Outfits: Simple. Classic. Effortless. Chic. Everything an outfit should be. Left: The Sartorialist ; Right: Hanneli Mustaparta
- My Margot Molyneux Cape: Local designer Margot Molyneux fulfilled my sartorial dreams when she made me this camel cape. I swear it has magical powers.
- Hiking Fern Dell at Griffith Park & brunching at The Trails…the ideal Sunday afternoon.
- Richard Neutra’s architecture. Lately I’ve been re-discovering and lusting over all of his work.
- Essie’s Mucho Dinero nailpolish. Alas, I’ve discovered the perfect neutral.
- A.R. Trapp Quadra sunglasses.
- Laura Lombardi’s jewelry – without a doubt my favorite designer currently.
- Delorean‘s Subiza album. I like to run in the mornings and this is the ultimate soundtrack.
- Denim button-up’s. I’ve just recently found one at H&M and haven’t taken it off since.
- Braids – I’m determined to grow my hair out and make this look work for fall.
- The interiors at Bottega Louie in Downtown Los Angeles. Simply stunning.
- The backpack as a purse replacement. Totally utilitarian, but also kind of stylish.
- The Container Store’s letter boxes in orange for my office. From afar, they look like Hermès. ;)
- My Teux Deux list – it keeps me endlessly organized.
- Hear Black – their photography, their Etsy shop, their taste in music. And Nathan & Katie are just so darn cute.
- Carey Mulligan – I adore pretty much everything about her.
- Salted caramel desserts, my new vice.
i actually have a guest post at jessica’s blog today about my fall favourites, read it here.READ MORE
things i like right now by katherine of anything goes
- Picnics. There’s not much to compare to the simple pleasure of a baguette, cheese and a bottle of wine – particularly when enjoyed on the banks of the Seine.
- Stripes. Print by Valerie Galloway.
- Shoes by United Nude. I still haven’t got myself a pair of these yet, but the lo res design are my recent favourites. United Nude is the footwear brand co-founded by architect Rem D. Koolhaas.
- Babies. Perhaps because my sister just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. I’m not usually that maternal – so I’m expecting this phase to pass :)
- Street art spotted while wandering.
- Fresh flowers. Especially when bought at a local market.
- Caramel au beurre salé glaces. (Salted butter caramel ice cream) I first tasted this in Paris and recently made my own batch from this recipe.
- Guerlain perfume. Specifically, Mitsouko, created in 1919. Guerlain is one of the oldest perfume houses in the world. In fact, I’m a little scent obsessed … look out for a post on that soon…
- I have to admit I’m a fan of the the rom-com genre. Intellectual it’s not, but sometimes a girl just needs a good laugh and a little romance from a movie. L’Arnacoeur (The Heartbreaker) make me laugh out loud – watch it, if only for the dance scenes! *disclaimer – I may have been seriously affected by jet lag when judging this movie.
- Spotify. Sadly, not available in SA yet.
- Geeky specs. Just because.
- And finally, Pedicures. Nothing like a little pampering. It’s time to pack away the boots and put on sandals.
here’s another i can’t believe i haven’t posted about this yet post. but the truth is, it’s sort of like talking about the sartorialist. “hey, have you guys heard about this blog called the sartorialist?! it’s this guy who takes beautiful photos of rad people on the street who dress nicely! it’s beyond awesome.” that’s how it feels posting about megan of another day to dress up, i just assume that everyone knows about her. every outfit she wears makes me go, oh noooo i want it too. so if you’re one of the handful of people who don’t follow her blog already – do it.
- Lavenham Denston Brown Jacket – These British made jackets are made in a tiny village in Suffolk called Lavenham. Initially intended for the equestrian world, they have amassed a huge following in recent years. Their jackets are beautifully made and now come in a range of fashion led colours and finishes.
- Pomadour Hair – When I look at James Dean I have serious hair envy
- Ray Ban Wayfarer 5184’s Dark Havana Glasses
- Diesel watch DZ1506 – I was given this watch as a 21st birthday present from my wife. It is one of my fondest processions.
- Citroen DS Pallas – is simply the most beautiful car in the world. Roland Barthes famously commented it looked ‘as if it had fallen from the sky.’
- Hunter Argyle Wellington Boots – These boots are built to last. I keep an emergency pair in the boot of my car.
- Geo F Trumper Sandalwood Cologne – To me fragrances are so emotive…it reminds me of my grandfathers shaving soap and old leather bound books. It’s made by London barber and perfumer Geo F Trumper
- My iPhone. I often get dirty look from wife and accusations that I love my iPhone more than her. The truth is I run my whole business with the help of my iPhone. It’s got me out of a few pickles and I’d simply be lost without it.
- Jean Prouvé - he worked as a designer, craftsman, manufacturer, architect, teacher and engineer. He was a true multi-disciplined artists and creator. His Compass table is truly iconic.
- My wife… Laura Sparrow. I’d be lost without her. This is a portrait I gave Laura when we got married, it’s by American artist Brooke Olivares
- British Seaside – Beach huts, fish and chips and a bracing wind…you can’t beat the British seaside
- Enjolife farm – In middle of the Cederberg mountains with nothing to do, and no cell phone coverage. Perfection.
- Homemade In-N-Out’s Double-Double – I’ve made this a few times now at home and its as good as it looks.
- Eames Hang-It-All Limited Edition – Should go pretty well with our Coricraft couches…
- White Collar Boxing – Amped to go to the next fight night on Nov 26th (via Guy With Camera)
- Made by Joel – Please don’t let my kids see this site. They may want to trade me in for Joel.
- Ella & Louis - I heard The Nearness Of You on the radio last week, and had to buy the album.
- Growing Vegetables Upside Down looks like fun, and great if you have a small garden like we do.
- Elijah – This list wouldn’t be complete without the new edition to our family – Elijah.
- Bakoven Beach – Perfect little beach. The fact that there is only parking for 4 cars and the beach is submerged at high tide keeps the crowds away.
- FinePix X100 – Poor man’s M9?
things i like right now by janine of being brazen The idea of spending a week or two in New York City – While I have seen New York in “real” life before, I have never had the chance to really go sightseeing. Lately I daydream about going there too much Jimmy Choo ‘Phoenix’ espadrilles […]READ MORE