when i started putting together the Girls mix i knew that i would eventually want to do a Guys version – there are plenty of guy bloggers and dudes i follow on twitter with excellent taste in music, so i have been compiling the list of potential guys in my head waiting for some free time to get my act and a nice little playlist together.
well, i’ve been beat. by some pretty cheeky boys i might add. kidding! Francois took it upon himself to create a Boys version, which made me partly jealous but simultaneously excited – because even though i had no hand in this it still means you are getting a new mix my friends. just in time for the weekend.
After hearing Diana’s mix chosen by girls, I was inspired to find more music and looked to my guy-friends. As we’re guys, we kept it simple – just a tweet got these replies from those who have great taste in music.
thanks to Francois and all the guys involved.
01. Ritual Union by Little Dragon submitted by Christopher Evans
Sweden’s electro-pop act Little Dragon are on fire!
02. Rome by Phoenix submitted by Marco Rietskins
Rome – Italy – Fashion
03. Howlin’ For You by The Black Keys submitted by Andrew Brauteseth
04. Sutphin Boulevard by Blood Orange submitted by Rhett Trickett
I love the tempo and groove of this song. It’s a truly genuine expression of present state self-acceptance and individualism. It’s about being comfortable with yourself, in the moments that may not be your finest. You could be drunk and walking alone down a street at night with no money in your pocket or pursuing an unusual interest that other people might think is weird, but ultimately you’re comfortable being who you are.
05. Truth by Alexander ft. The RZA submitted by Andy Fenner
Some tracks make you want to get in a hammock with a cigar and some good rum. None more than this. Alexander is an Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zero’s side project. Recognise that whistle AKA “Alabama Arkansas”?
06. Mornings (Acoustic) by Portugal The Man submitted by Rui Esteves
I think he chose this because the name had “Portugal” in.
07. The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash submitted by David Cope
Johnny Cash needs no introduction
08. Here Comes The Man by Boom Boom Room submitted by Jaco-Louis Groenewald
One Word: Classic.
09. Chinatown by Destroyer submitted by Rouen Smit
10. 16 Years by Phantogram submitted by Murray Mitchell
11. Little Lion Man by Mumford & Sons by Simon Wibberley
I have vague recollections of doing a circle-embrace-stomping-dance on this song, at a wedding recently – early morning, wearing what was left of a tux.
12. 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins submitted by Luke Adams
13. Fake Empire by The National submitted by Francois Botha
This has to be one of my alltime favourite tracks. Technically this song is simply baffling and the lyrics speak to my inner-child.
14. Heartbreaker by Girls submitted by Richard Dimblebee
What an appropriate choice of track. ;-)
there are a number of tracks in here that i have included in my mixes before, you will just have to deal with some double trouble i’m afraid. all music is for sampling purposes only – please go out and buy the artists’ records & support them at their shows.
cover image courtesy of francois botha.