i have always been terrible at planning. i don’t plan my day or my week or make lists or any of that stuff – i know i should. and sometimes when i do manage to sort myself out it is almost always handwritten. i tried to use list apps and other techno things to help […]READ MORE
i found book cover design to be one of the most challenging tasks when i was studying. we’d see all these brilliant, often very simple, cover designs and think – of course! but getting there is such hard work (as with anything in design, of course). i am so impressed by the work of NY based designer Oliver […]READ MORE
outstanding work from graphic designer Lisa Hedge. that save the date is something else.READ MORE
bia van deventer is a graphic designer from cape town. she recently completed the beautiful vintage inspired styling & design work for the debut album of local gypsy band manouche. i love the detailing in the band members’ dresses – click on the image for a better viewREAD MORE
courtesy of frank chimeroREAD MORE
paul x. johnson is a freelance illustrator who lives by the sea and likes to drink tea all images by paul x. johnsonREAD MORE
wow, check out these awesome custom covers by richard perez of his top ten albums of 2010. psh, makes all other top ten lists look pretty pathetic in comparison, eh? i’d like to see everyone make album art from now on, please. thanks for bringing this to our attention designworklife (stellar as always)READ MORE
Being a graphic designer by trade, of course I saw my wedding as a magnificent design project. One of the first things I told Tamara is that I would love the whole effort to be very DIY driven … We wanted every element of our wedding to be one-of-a-kind. We stamped and wrote details on each invitation and thank you tag by hand, cut and tied the ribbon, hand made windmills and made the pocket squares from scratch.
things i like right now by katherine of anything goes
- Picnics. There’s not much to compare to the simple pleasure of a baguette, cheese and a bottle of wine – particularly when enjoyed on the banks of the Seine.
- Stripes. Print by Valerie Galloway.
- Shoes by United Nude. I still haven’t got myself a pair of these yet, but the lo res design are my recent favourites. United Nude is the footwear brand co-founded by architect Rem D. Koolhaas.
- Babies. Perhaps because my sister just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. I’m not usually that maternal – so I’m expecting this phase to pass :)
- Street art spotted while wandering.
- Fresh flowers. Especially when bought at a local market.
- Caramel au beurre salé glaces. (Salted butter caramel ice cream) I first tasted this in Paris and recently made my own batch from this recipe.
- Guerlain perfume. Specifically, Mitsouko, created in 1919. Guerlain is one of the oldest perfume houses in the world. In fact, I’m a little scent obsessed … look out for a post on that soon…
- I have to admit I’m a fan of the the rom-com genre. Intellectual it’s not, but sometimes a girl just needs a good laugh and a little romance from a movie. L’Arnacoeur (The Heartbreaker) make me laugh out loud – watch it, if only for the dance scenes! *disclaimer – I may have been seriously affected by jet lag when judging this movie.
- Spotify. Sadly, not available in SA yet.
- Geeky specs. Just because.
- And finally, Pedicures. Nothing like a little pampering. It’s time to pack away the boots and put on sandals.
things i like right now by matthew of cmyplay Mattson Creative’s Lost Season 6 Posters – Ty Mattson runs Mattson Creative, a California-based agency that has worked for a number of impressive clients. His signature illustrative style communicates complex ideas in a simple, idiosyncratic and often charming manner. I really enjoy the recent series of illustrations […]READ MORE