things i like right now by andy of jamie who
- Bulldogs. I have an unnatural love for my bulldog, Elvis (that’s him in the pic.) He gets treated like a child and I can’t imagine a life without that fat little thing snoring next to me. I’m noticing a lot more bulldogs popping up though. In advertisements, at cafes, in the parks etc. They’re definitely popular at the moment, which is awesome. One bulldog is funny. Two is hilarious.
- Having a local. The beer revolution is gaining steam in Cape Town, as micro-breweries gain momentum. People are starting to appreciate how good real beer can be. This means for the first time in a long time there is a bar I visit a couple of times a week to feel at home. The place? Brewers & Union, Bree Street. My beer of choice? Berne. Nutty, full of honey and a nice smooth finish. [ &Union Photo from Bree Street ]
- Watching TV. I think it’s because of all the functions I’ve been going to, but time spent chilling on the couch has become absolute gold. And I’m catching up with some great shows. Dexter, Californication, Arrested Development, Boardwalk Empire, 30 Rock and Modern Family are my picks.
- Tailored shorts. We’re not 18 anymore. Oversized, baggy shorts don’t interest me. A nice, fitted pair of shorts is the most versatile thing in my wardrobe. So I’ve got a couple. They can be dressed up with a great shirt, or just worn with a v-neck and sandals. If you’re brave enough you can throw on a jacket and wear them to smarter functions.
- Dressing up instead of down. For some reason I’m digging it. Crisp shirts, bow-ties, skinny ties and even suspenders have been pulled out pretty often lately
- Limes. Walk out of a shop with a bag of limes and you already feel one step closer to holiday. They’re perfect for outdoor, summer cooking but more importantly they’re great for outdoor summer boozing. Mojitos, caipirinhas, or even just vodka straight from the freezer on crushed ice. Fresh limes are vital.
- Boat shoes. I spent 3 weeks travelling through Europe and spent time on every one of those days looking for the perfect pair. I came home empty handed and found a pair in Country Road. Go figure.
- Vegetables. Don’t get me wrong, I still love meat. But I read a few books that changed my life and I am now only able to eat meat when I know EXACTLY where it came from. Most people don’t stop to think about the cruelty that goes into farming animals. I only eat free-range meat from animals that have been treated with respect. So I’ve gotten to appreciate that vegetarian meals don’t have to be boring. [ Photo by Brandt Botes ]
- Being married. Yeah, yeah, I know. It’s bit cheesy. But in a year when I have taken massive risks and chased a few dreams having someone to support me along the way has been incredible.
- Bistros. There’s a time and a place for foams, froths, smears, bubbles, jellies etc. But my favourite style of cooking still remains simple produce, with clean uncluttered flavours.
- Pinot Noir. As I continue to learn about wine from some of the best in the business, Pinot Noir has leapt out at me as my favourite. I love it’s versatility. I’m a big fan of Paradyskloof, Oak Valley and – if you’re treating yourself – Hamilton Russel.