i’m not sure how fondue ever went out of fashion. it is a pot of melted cheese for heaven’s sake. there’s plenty of wine in there, and you stick pieces of bread into it. how is that not a good thing? an excellent thing, in fact. the first time i went to paris i overindulged […]READ MORE
austrian designer lena hoschek‘s spring summer 2011 collection after assisting vivienne westwood at her london studio, lena hoschek started her own label in 2006 at the age of 24. her collections do not follow trends or the general conception of ‘cool’, they are simply a reflection of what has fascinated her since her childhood: the […]READ MORE
if you haven’t seen the black swan limited edition movie posters by now, you’re about to! i’ve been excited to see this film ever since those teaser images were released of natalie portman in full ballerina mode.READ MORE
love this, such clever execution. makes me think of the old adage of hemlines going up or down according to the mood of the country / state of the economy. i personally wish girls would wear longer skirts, just because i love them. this looks like a pretty interesting issue actually, “the uneasy making of a movie” … “getting high with a lot of hot air”
i cannot and have never been able to skate. be it on ice or with rollerskates or… rollerblades *cringe* i am so bad at it in fact that i have actually had skating dreams – much like normal people might have flying dreams. i’ve had flying dreams too, sure, but the skating dreams are far more exciting. whizzing past people in the street, using it as my main form of transport – these are all things i would love to be able to do.
right now i’m going through a bit of a disco obsession (more on that later) and nothing goes with disco quite like rollerskating. MAN ALIVE. check out swayze in this little number…
right? right. i would have liked to see john travolta partaking in a bit of roller action. other celebs did too though, check out dustin hoffman, andy warhol and cher below
as well as hef rolling with one of his ladies (nice denim suit)
it was a big enough deal that there was a magazine dedicated to it. bring back roller disco.
wes anderson and roman coppola directed this ad for stella artois. damn, i wish it were a feature length film. seen via mid-century modernistREAD MORE
a bit of history: jessica and her twin sister debra and i have been friends since we were in grade 2 (around 7 years old). jessica and luke own & run nook eatery, the restaurant in stellenbosch i am constantly prattling on about. go eat there!
- Growing my own vegetable/herb garden (this is part of Jessica’s garden, by the way)
- Double denim – I want to be her!
- Gucci Eau de Parfum II – thanks Diana for introducing me to this fragrance 7 years ago.
- Rompers – My mom made one for me when I was 8 years old, and I lived in it every chance I had. It was yellow with blue straps that tied on the shoulders. I am searching for one for summer, and this denim one worn by Alessandra Ambrosio in NYC is near perfect!
- Spring flowers – it is this time of year that I buy more flowers than I know what to do with. Ranunculi (otherwise known as Persian Buttercups) are my favourite.
- Jean Gillon Leather Rosewood Sofa circa 1960s – I saw this couch at Pier Rabe Bosman’s Crossing showroom, and it was love at first touch and sight. At R22,000.00 it’s a fantasy rather than reality, but I can dream.
- Lemon Meringue Pie – I made some for Nook this week and was lucky enough to share a piece with Luke on Tuesday afternoon after work in the Botanical Gardens.
- Boston Terriers by Rubenacker – discovered through a random search on etsy. This print and others in his collection made me smile inside and out.
- Style contrast – Fascinated with this pic from The Sartorialist
- Quilts – perfect for picnics, and I am determined to make one this year!
- A bar cart – I don’t know if I would strictly use this for alcohol, but something about owning one is just so appealing.
- Retro food – I love the series Mad Men, especially when they mention classic dishes such as Iceberg Wedge salad with Blue Cheese, Oysters, Crab and Avocado, and Fillet Mignon. I find myself cursing the TV when they fail to actually show the food as it arrives in front of them! In Episode 1 of Season 4, Don Draper is going on a date to a restaurant and Roger Sterling says, “Have the chicken Kiev. Butter squirts everywhere.” Oh … wow …
hahaha, really laughed at the retro food. i’m also totally fascinated & grossed out by it!READ MORE
these look like they’ve been taken out of an opening scene for a cheesy porno catalogue. also, notice the toilet seat frame hanging on the wall! all from retro space.READ MORE
the house from a single man is still up for sale, by the way. just in case you were on the market and you wanted to spend in the region of $1,5 million (or less? i mean, in the current climate…) – this would be a good buy. designed in 1948 by john lautner; it […]READ MORE