today’s guest post is from Mallory of Where The Lovely Things are. we share a love of many things, but we really bonded over…
do yourself a favour and check out mallory’s book week over at where the lovely things are. especially the fiction, non-fiction, how to and coffee table / design book suggestions. it’s nuts, guys. i have a mile long list of stuff that needs readin.
images borrowed from where the lovely things are. you’ll have to go over there to see the sources! oh yes, i just did that.
- Being a hermit…. rather like Katharine Hepburn. I can be pretty anti-social at times. Now is definitely one of those times. I’ve been acting like a veritable hermit lately, & I’m completely content with it.
- Gowns. Yes, I like being a hermit… but I’d like to be a hermit wearing a gown. Sitting around in my home… reading a book…. and wearing a wildly expensive design gown. Like one pictured (from Monique Lhuillier’s Spring 2010 ready-to-wear collection).
- Shelves. I have a lot, a lot, a lot of books. And dvds. And…. stuff. Thus – I need a lot of shelves. These ones from We Do Wood are pretty fantastic.
- The top Helena Christensen is wearing in this picture.
- Tsumori Chisato for Petit Bateau. This dress is made for a child. I still want it.
- Sloths. This one happens to share my coloring. Just kidding. Not really, he really does.
- Old fashioned dancing. My dancing style is more akin to these folks in The Boat That Rocked / Pirate Radio than “modern dancing”. I never knew what to do with myself at high school dances. I’d rather stub my toe or lightly slam my finger in a car door than go to a dance club.
- Capes. I’ve never owned a cape. Strike that – I’ve never owned a cape that wasn’t part of a costume. I had a shiny silk pink cape bedecked with stars once (hand sewn by my mother) – I wore it on Halloween. I think I was supposed to be a princess…. a princess with a cape. Anyway – I’d like a non-costume cape as well.
- Stila Lip Rouge. I am completely incapable of doing anything complicated with make-up. If I had some extra money, I’d immediately take some sort of course in make-up application. Stila Lip Rouge is marker-style lip color. Easy as pie. I just got a tube a week or so ago, and I feel like I must have used 1/2 of it already. I wish that all forms of make-up came in marker form.
- A sprinkle bedecked cake from Sprinkle Bakes
- Kevin the Bird from Up. Can a bird be a human’s hero? I don’t know, but I think Kevin is one of mine.
- Ruth Brown. Watch this video to see why I love her. Sometimes when I’m driving (alone – there are few people I’d do the following in front of) I’ll try to sing like her… adding the squeak to the end of sentences of song… the intense facial expressions. Thankfully, I don’t drive with a tambourine. That’d be worse than people who text and drive, probably.
- Vintage Valentines. I think they’re appropriate year-round. No need to wait for February to spread the love.