erdem’s amazing collection at london fashion week paired with some of my parisian garden snaps
hello september, my favourite month. you are epitomised by the smell of pink jasmine, which makes me want to roll around in you…. or something. welcome back! madbar / anita…
the september Elle magazine has been out since mid-august, and i was determined to wait till september to actually post about this – but i am far too impatient for my own good….
kim, lana, lauren and i were lucky enough to be featured in their spring issue for ‘the scoop on spring’. in case you read the article and were wondering what on earth i was talking about – here’s my post about atonement & morris and here is the old mac daddy trailer park. i also mentioned silk blouses, this is what i had in mind:
if you discovered my blog through the Elle, welcome! and thanks Elle mag, what an honour.
a bit of history: jessica and her twin sister debra and i have been friends since we were in grade 2 (around 7 years old). jessica and luke own & run nook eatery, the restaurant in stellenbosch i am constantly prattling on about. go eat there!
- Growing my own vegetable/herb garden (this is part of Jessica’s garden, by the way)
- Double denim – I want to be her!
- Gucci Eau de Parfum II – thanks Diana for introducing me to this fragrance 7 years ago.
- Rompers – My mom made one for me when I was 8 years old, and I lived in it every chance I had. It was yellow with blue straps that tied on the shoulders. I am searching for one for summer, and this denim one worn by Alessandra Ambrosio in NYC is near perfect!
- Spring flowers – it is this time of year that I buy more flowers than I know what to do with. Ranunculi (otherwise known as Persian Buttercups) are my favourite.
- Jean Gillon Leather Rosewood Sofa circa 1960s – I saw this couch at Pier Rabe Bosman’s Crossing showroom, and it was love at first touch and sight. At R22,000.00 it’s a fantasy rather than reality, but I can dream.
- Lemon Meringue Pie – I made some for Nook this week and was lucky enough to share a piece with Luke on Tuesday afternoon after work in the Botanical Gardens.
- Boston Terriers by Rubenacker – discovered through a random search on etsy. This print and others in his collection made me smile inside and out.
- Style contrast – Fascinated with this pic from The Sartorialist
- Quilts – perfect for picnics, and I am determined to make one this year!
- A bar cart – I don’t know if I would strictly use this for alcohol, but something about owning one is just so appealing.
- Retro food – I love the series Mad Men, especially when they mention classic dishes such as Iceberg Wedge salad with Blue Cheese, Oysters, Crab and Avocado, and Fillet Mignon. I find myself cursing the TV when they fail to actually show the food as it arrives in front of them! In Episode 1 of Season 4, Don Draper is going on a date to a restaurant and Roger Sterling says, “Have the chicken Kiev. Butter squirts everywhere.” Oh … wow …
hahaha, really laughed at the retro food. i’m also totally fascinated & grossed out by it!
it’s going to be spring soon! though our tricksy south african weather has been making everyone assume it’s spring already (this has probably been the mildest and most glorious winter in recent memory.) i bet we’re in for one more crazy cold front before the proper hot weather hits us though – remember when it snowed in august?
photos by the very talented will renton
first bumper fashion special of 2010… willow ltd: IRO: the garden collection by H&M: alexander mcqueen: (remember this dress?) emilio pucci: richard nicoll: kaight: style sightings:
you know, i’ve been skimping on the bumper fashion specials lately, mostly because i haven’t come across a lot of summer stuff that i find very inspiring (especially since at…