Turned Out by Maya

i am subscribed to a lot of blogs. a LOT of blogs. it is not unusual for my reader to shout at me that i have 1000+ unread items. actually it’s more like i’m shouting at my reader because i have 1000 unread items, right? anyway, i keep that shit organised, son. everything is sorted into folders according to theme. you might say i have google reader ocd.

there is however one folder that only has about 20 feeds in it – my favourites. blogs i will read every day, no matter what, no matter how little time i might have. whether it’s during a work break, or while i’m nursing a cup a coffee – these are my go-to sites. Turned Out by Maya is one of them.

“a little website that aims to inspire with daily posts of street style photographs and profiles on interesting people with great personal style (in cities like) Sydney, Paris, New York, Auckland and Berlin.”

so says Maya Villiger, a self-taught photographer originally from Switzerland. looking through her photos gives you the feeling like Maya is pals with all the girls she photographs – or at least i like to think she is.

all photographs by Maya Villiger

, , ,

17 Responses to Turned Out by Maya

1. victoria Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Been following her for years … so unpretentious and nonfussy … she sees the beauty in old gray sweatshirts and overalls. Love.

2. erica Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 6:43 pm #

oh! yes.

(it says my comment is too short to post, so: yes, yes, yes.)

3. Joy Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

i love that site so much too. i am also subscribed to too many blogs out there but i never have time to clean everything up. le sigh. so glad you featured maya’s work here! she’s fab.

4. cara Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

great find. and just for the record, you aren’t the only google reader ocd-er. i kept hiding my “theme folders” from people but then when i used my roommate’s computer the other day, i noticed she had the same categories. we’re all doing it. organizing our addiction. (:

5. Dana Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

I love her too – every photo is so inspiring in a “go and live it” type of way.

6. coelho Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

so do you give lessons on how to be so organized?!

7. tara-lynn Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

so funny, taking a wee break from all the too much knitting, to read my go to blogs, just
    read turned out & now its here to miss moss! you are always on my must read blog list!
    i couldn’t agree more about turned out, what i wouldn’t give to look so stunning sans make-up & carefree always, like all gals she photographs, they are always so much the epitome of coolness.
    tara-lynn

8. Mallory Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

my google reader categories: fashion, design, people, tumblr, food, music, entertainment, other, kids, illustration, creators and, finally, important. which is my version of your “favourites” folder. i’m so ocd about ALL of my internet activities. but in an extremely awesome way that i’ve perfected to an art to see the most amount of content in the least amount of time. that’s why it’s sucked to not have a computer, because i’ve been thrown asunder from my typical internet routine.

9. hillary Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

Her photos are so natural! It definitely takes a certain type of person behind the camera to put their subject at ease!

10. nome Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 10:34 pm #

Thanks for introducing this blog, great photos! Also, I’m inspired to use google reader now, is it crazy that I haven’t even tried it yet?

11. jules Thursday 17 November, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

good picks from her large collection. your feature is great; I agree that there is an intimacy to Maya’s photos that is not equally prominent in all street style photography.
    would you please feature the other 19 favorite blogs as well? over time, of course.
    yours is in my special folder. thanks for your voice.

12. Carolyn Friday 18 November, 2011 at 6:26 am #

her photos all have such a dreamy quality to them.. <3

13. hillary, mammal and lamb Friday 18 November, 2011 at 8:22 am #

One of the best, I love her work, so timeless and unconventional.

14. Diana Saturday 19 November, 2011 at 11:23 am #

AMAZING!

lovely, lovely, lovely blog!

THANKS for sharing it :))

15. caroline Saturday 19 November, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

You were describing me in that first paragraph! And having a favorites folder is pretty smart. Must do that too (I too organize all my blogs into folders, we’re nuts).

16. Layers&Swathes Sunday 20 November, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

I couldn’t agree more. She is also one of my religious daily reads. True beauty in its simplicity…

17. Amy Thursday 8 December, 2011 at 7:51 am #

At the moment I’m SO behind on my blog reading (I had something like 5000 unread posts in my reader). It’s impossible to read them all – yet it’s so difficult to get rid of any. Actually, I’m not sure how many I read – probably around 200 (17 different folders!). So, I need to stop trying with a few. Anyway, Turned Out is one of my favorites, too, and one I try to read often.