college days

i think about university quite often and what i would have done differently if i could do it all over again (a dangerous game.) probably should have worked harder, dressed better & partied less. that would have changed everything, i swear!

these are from the vassar college archive on flickr. i love it when universities make the effort of sharing their photo archives online – i really wish my alma mater would do the same! i should apply for that job…

, , , , , , ,

22 Responses to college days

1. Maegen Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

You inspire people all over the world everyday. You are exactly where youre supposed to be! Keep up the good work. We all appreciate it.

• Miss Moss Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

that is seriously the sweetest comment ever, thanks maegen x

2. Genevieve Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

how gorgeous are all these girls, love the hair and little party froks!

3. Sarah Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

I totally agree with you when it comes to thinking about the dangerous game. I should have worked harder, yes and dressed better oh and many other things too and I know that things would be different.

Love these photos, very inspiring.

4. Anabela Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

A dangerous game indeed! But if I were to go back I know I wouldn’t have worked harder, even if I wanted to. I probably wouldn’t have majored in medieval studies, though, that’s for sure!

5. if jane Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

i am happy with my time at university (i would have changed some things in highschool)…love your blog!

6. Taylor Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

first, let me start off by saying that i am a huge fan of your blog. second, let me say i am now an even bigger fan because you blogged about vassar!! i was lucky enough to attend vassar (and force my little brother to attend as well) and seeing these pictures made me smile. i even had the very same desk pictured in all of the photos! cheers.

7. Amy Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

I’m just about to graduate from college! I can’t say that I have too many regrets, but there are always things I wished I would have done a bit differently.

I feel compelled to comment on this post because Vassar is the “rival” college of Bard– the college I attend! (It’s a silly rivalry, but a rivalry nonetheless!) Bard is about 30 minutes north (up the Hudson River) from Vassar. Back in the day, Bard was like Vassar’s male counterpart.

During the WWII, Bard’s enrollment dropped down to 6, because all the men were off fighting. At that point, Bard decided to become co-ed to stay open. I think Vassar went co-ed in the late 60′s.

ANYWAY, here is an archive of some vintage Bard photos… to prove that Bard is just as cool as Vassar! Haha. :)

8. celine Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

these are great photos! and i, too, often play the should-have game about college and even grad school. it usually just leads to anxiety for me! :)

(and hi, i’m new to your very lovely blog!)

9. Looks Good To Me! Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

Ahh! I went to Vassar (as did my sister). I never knew about this photo page, thanks for posting!

10. Caitlin Rose Thursday 24 March, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

Oh I constantly dream about being back in University and I only graduated last year! whenever I think of a photoshoot it usually just involved me doing something at one of the pretty rooms at the University of Toronto. I don’t know if I would do anything differently over again (since I dressed as preppy as I possibly could) but I would do it over again and again.

These photos are beautiful, thank you so much for sharing them.

11. Kate Bickmore Friday 25 March, 2011 at 1:24 am #

Oh gosh, I hear back tomorrow from Vassar! I hope I get in!
    These photos are absolutely wonderful and inspirational!

12. courtney Friday 25 March, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

amazing!

hipsters and didn’t know it

13. Emily Saturday 26 March, 2011 at 4:12 am #

It’s just no fair, the vintage ‘university days’ look so much better than the state of schools now. As with everything else, it just seems like no body has any class anymore.

To give a nod to my city of Philadelphia, Temple U has a great photo archive up on facebook of all places. I must say that philly used to be the fly-est city around:

14. whitney Saturday 26 March, 2011 at 10:43 pm #

I love these, especially the last one. I wish the school I had gone to did this too. I always wonder what it looked like years ago.

15. Kate Sunday 27 March, 2011 at 9:36 am #

Oh such wonderful images!

16. Camille Monday 28 March, 2011 at 5:00 am #

Those gave me the little kick I needed to stop procrastinating and finish my essays, thank you for posting them! Hopefully they’ll also inspire me to look put together for the remaining weeks of the semester, oh dear!

17. Nonsequitania Monday 28 March, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Thank you for sharing this and all the other fascinating things you find and make! I always wondered what Lehrer’s ‘Bright College Days’ would be like if written by a female lyricist and now I am wondering again…

18. tschitschi Monday 28 March, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

oh, it’s so much fun to look at these!

19. The Pessimiss Tuesday 29 March, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

I reminise about my Rhodes days FAR too often, and even though I wasn’t wandering the leafy library courtyard in pin curls, I certainly did my fair share of lolling out of windows with girlfriends, smoking cigarettes and laughing… and making out in the stacks in the library basement, reading books with my feet up and playing games in the common room (30 Seconds, not Go Fish!) Heady times, as they say. Even though it happened in this era, it feels as frozen in time as these wondrous pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

x and o

20. my name is ish Wednesday 6 April, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Oooh! I went to Vassar, too. But not when these photos were taken. Even in the early 90s, it was as enchanting. I saw a story you did about another college a few weeks ago and was wishing it was about Vassar. I am so glad you found these (for me)!

Your blog is genius, btw.

Thanks for it.

21. TBK Wednesday 6 April, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Former Vassar girl here! I love these pics and your blog. If the hair and clothes changed slightly, that would be my photo album. Oh yes, add boys :) I’m officially a new fan!